This sausage casserole is the ultimate winter warmer, especially when served with mash and some tenderstem broccoli. I made this on Sunday when it was freezing outside and it was the perfect dinner. This recipe makes 4 servings, and so we were able to take some in to work the next day for lunch.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 x sausages (chopped)
- 1 chopped pepper
- 1 chopped courgette
- 1 200g can of lentils (drained)
- 1 carton of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry off the onion and garlic in some oil, over a moderate heat until softened
- Add in the sausages, stir together and fry for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly to stop them from sticking
- Once the sausage is cooked on the outside, add the peppers and courgette. Stir, and cook for another 10 minutes or so
- Add in the lentils and stir again, leaving it to cook for 5 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and some salt and pepper to season. Stir it all together and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir regularly.
- After 10 minutes, add the baby spinach and lower the heat slightly. Stir in the spinach and leave it to wilt.
- Leave to simmer for another 10 minutes
- Then, you’re done! Plate up, pour a glass of red and enjoy!