I’m a big fan of using veg substitutes to replace carbs. Cauliflower cous cous, broccoli rice, courgetti…come at me! If you don’t know, Boodles are butternut squash noodles. Less watery than courgetti but much harder to make in a spiraliser – you need guns! Anyway, I’m not gonna lie, I cheated and bought some ready made ones from Sainsbury’s. But…the sauce I did make from scratch. So if you’re fancying autumn in a bowl, give this a whirl.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 x pack of Boodles – or if you are making your own enough for two people
- 2 x chicken breasts, diced
- Large handful of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 x pepper
- 2 x large handfuls of frozen peas
- 1 x large handful of spinach
- 2 x large tablespoons of crème fraiche
- 2 x teaspoons of wholegrain mustard
- Parmesan to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan, heat some oil on a medium heat. Once heated, add in the chicken – stir to stop it from sticking.
- Fry the chicken for about 5 minutes until white on the outside. Add in the pepper and mushrooms and stir.
- Leave to cook for another 5 – 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked on the inside but not brown on the outside.
- Add your frozen peas and stir in. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in your spinach, stir and leave for a minute or so. Then, stir continuously until it’s wilted.
- Once everything is cooked, add your crème fraiche and mustard and stir. Leave it all to simmer and for the crème fraiche to melt a bit and become more liquidy.
- At the same time as adding in your crème fraiche and mustard, whack the Boodles in the microwave and cook as per the packet instructions. Alternatively if you’ve made your own, put them in a microwaveable bowl and heat for 2 – 3 minutes, until softened.
- Once the Boodles are cooked, the sauce should be ready too. Add in some salt and pepper to taste and then add the Boodles and mix all together.
- Transfer into bowls and top with a good serving of parmesan and enjoy (and feel all warm and cosy, but secretly smug as you are basically eating a large bowl of vegetables!)
Hope you enjoy guys!