The photo doesn’t do it justice, but this is one of my absolute favourite recipes. I had it at a restaurant in Spain a few years ago and attempted to make it for myself. Ever since then, it’s been a regular feature in my recipe repertoire! The great thing is that it’s the best comfort food, but without any of the associated guilt.
To elaborate, these are aubergines which are stuffed with bolognese and then topped with cheese and baked. Need I say more?
- 1 x aubergine per person
- Beef mince
- 1 x onion
- 1 x garlic clove
- 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x beef stock cube
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Cut the end off of each of your aubergines and cut in half lengthways.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the flesh of the aubergine. Careful not to go too deep, as you’ll need there to be enough aubergine that it supports the bolognese – you don’t want it falling out of the bottom! Don’t throw away the inners of the aubergine, I add mine to my bolognese, meaning that you’re not wasting any.
- Pop the aubergines on to a baking tray and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Use this 15 minutes to make your bolognese. Everyone has a slightly different way of making it, but here’s how I do mine.
- Peel and chop your onion, and peel the garlic. Chop up the inners of the aubergine in to small chunks.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add in the chopped onion.
- Once it’s started to go translucent, add in the beef mince and cook on a medium heat until brown.
- Crush the garlic in, add the aubergine, season with salt and pepper to taste and add in the stock cube. Stir in and let it simmer for a little longer.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, stir and continue to let it simmer.
- Once the bolognese is done, take the aubergines out of the oven and spoon in the bolognese into the aubergine shells. Top with the grated cheese and put them back in the oven.
- Leave to cook for about another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is all melted. Then, take the aubergines out of the oven and serve.
Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do!