This recipe is one of my go-to quick dinners. It’s a simple and effective meal that my mum used to make, and so I’ve taken the recipe from her. I usually have all of these ingredients to hand…I always keep a tin of lentils in the cupboard, I eat chorizo and spinach by the bucket load (so it’s always in the fridge) and the white fish is the Sainsburys Basics White Fish Fillets that I’ve mentioned before. I’ve added kale and tomato into this, but they’re not a necessity. Likewise, if you didn’t have spinach, you could replace it with the kale.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 white fish fillets
- 1 x 410g tin of green lentils in water
- Chorizo sausage (as much as you fancy)
- Cherry tomatoes, chopped in half (as many as you fancy)
- A large handful of kale
- A large handful of spinach
- A few chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to season
- Coconut oil
- Turn the oven on to cook your fish as per the instructions on the packet. You can add salt and pepper if you would like, but this isn’t needed.
- When your fish has about 15 minutes left to cook, heat the coconut oil in a saucepan, over a low heat.
- Drain the lentils and put these in the pan along with the chorizo and tomatoes. Stir regularly to ensure that everything is heated up and to make sure that the lentils at the bottom of the pan don’t get burnt.
- After 5 minutes, add in the kale and spinach, and season to taste with the salt, pepper and chilli flakes.
- Give it a good stir and pop a lid on. The kale and spinach will both wilt. If you are worried that it’s not looking like you have too much food, add in more kale and/or spinach. Continue to cook with the lid on.
- Once the fish is cooked, all you have left to do is plate up. Pour the lentil and chorizo mixture into large bowls and top off with the fish.
- A quick sprinkle of pepper and you’re good to go.
This recipe is very versatile and will work with a number of adjustments. You could try adding red peppers, using salmon instead of white fish, even trying chicken instead of fish. And the best thing is, that because you can just use up ingredients that you already have, it’s a great, cheap dinner.