Let’s be honest, as it’s slipping more and more into winter in the U.K., this post will probably be applicable here too, soon. If you follow me on Insta or Twitter you’ll likely have seen that in the last couple of months I’ve been to Oslo, Gothenburg and Stockholm. No, I don’t know why we chose to visit Scandinavia in autumn/winter either, but whatevs. I will say this, it was very pretty and luckily we were prepared for the cold. I thought I’d share with you my winter city break essentials. It wasn’t actually winter, but it was about 1 degree as a high and there was snow. So it was more wintery than you’ll likely see in England this year. You’ll see a common theme in the below, it’s all about comfort and warmth.
- Bobble hat – Not only do these look super cute, but they’re also practical. They’ll keep you super warm and help to stop your hair from getting messed up in the snow/rain/wind. This one is from New Look, and you can find it here.
- Long coat – Now, I know that a lot of short jackets like puffer jackets are about at the moment. But, something my mum said when I was younger about getting a cold midriff has stuck with me and I swear by a long coat. It stops the slight chill/breeze, and therefore I think is warmer. This was from New Look last winter but you can shop similar here.
- Blanket scarf – Honestly the my favourite item of my wardrobe. I have two that I got from Zara last year. You can find similar here. These are perfect for a winter getaway. You can use them as s blanket on the plane, as an extra layer to wrap up in over a drink or to battle against the elements. A bit bulkier than a normal scarf but a must-have.
- Biker boots – City breaks tend to be about walking far and if in winter, you want to make sure you have shoes to work in all weather. Biker boots tend to have a fair amount of grip and will help to keep your feet dry. Mine were actually a last minute purchase from Tesco last year, but you’ll find similar here.
- Backpack – I always find walking for miles a pain when you’ve got an over the shoulder handbag. And so I recently invested in this backpack from Mango. It goes with everything and is the perfect size – it can fit water, city guides and any other essentials needed. And when I’m flying, can fit my iPad in too. It’s deceptive in size and I often feel like Mary Poppins when trying to find stuff in the bottom of it! Shop it here.
Other bits not pictured…
- Layers – These are essential! They not only keep you warm but mean that you’re ready to fight between the cold outdoors and the heating in those cute cafes you’ll be visiting. For Sweden, I had a long sleeve t-shirt and knitted jumper for every day. The jumper in this photo is one I got a couple of years ago from New Look but I also snapped up a couple of rollnecks from there for only £9.99 each – bargain! Shop them here.
- Woolly socks – After battling the elements in Oslo, we knew it was only going to be colder in Sweden. So me and the boy got some pairs of woolly socks to keep our feet snug and dry. These ones from Amazon definitely did the job.
- Mittens – I got my mittens from H&M years ago and I love them! They’re grey and woolly on the outside and fleecy on the inside. Perfect for keeping my hands warm. Not so perfect for when I want to use my phone. H&M don’t have any this year, but these ones from Forever 21 are also super cute.
What do you usually pack for citybreaks?
Thanks for reading!